Would you like to volunteer and bring happiness to those who are lonely or who need help?
We are looking for ordinary people to volunteer – young and old, men and women. You can be single or you can have a family. We are looking for students, unemployed, people in work, immigrants, managing directors or anything in between.
You will be accepted just as you are.
Welcome to our information session and volunteering course in which we together pave the path for you to start a new hobby and get a good understanding of volunteering. The next info sessions and courses will be organized in February 2020.
By volunteering, you can use your know-how and skills, learn something new and develop yoursef. You can always volunteer only the way that suits to yourself. As a volunteer, you help, meet and listen to other people – and get so much back.
Read a story of a volunteer Guille from this link.
We all have our own motives to volunteer. Many are motivated by a genuine willingness to help. Volunteering gives you unique experiences and new meaning to your daily life.
Any reason is a good reason to lend a helping hand. Volunteering gives new meaning to your life and makes you a valued member of the community of volunteers.
A Volunteering Path – Step by Step
1. It all starts from your own interest.
2. Discussion, our website, basic information, basic course
4. Recreation for volunteers.
5. Support by the coordinator and other volunteers.
6. Additional training or new tasks in VARES -network possibilities.
Current forms of volunteer work:
• Friend and companion work at peoples’ homes and at institutes, reading service for visually impaired
• Peer support work
• (Emergency) Phone services in different communities
• Student support work
• Club, society and union work, work parties
• Different one-time activities, for example money collecting, carrying out a specific job, campaigns
• Taking part in the board meetings of organizations and working committees
• Combining technological possibilities into volunteer work
Good quality volunteer work makes sure that:
• The volunteer worker can enjoy the work
• The volunteer worker is not expected to do more than one has the skills or energy for or more than one wants to do.
• The well-being and energy levels of the volunteer workers are being cared for and feelings of tiredness are always dealt with.
• The volunteer workers are not left alone in challenging situations.
• The work of a volunteer does not compensate professional help.
• The volunteer workers are adequately trained for the work they do.
A healthy volunteer worker is the basis of all volunteer work.
Reflect, answer and be inspired!
1. Do you think that feeling good about what you do is more important than monetary compensation?
2. Is it more rewarding to use three hours of your spare time doing something rather than lying
on the couch?
3. Do you believe that everyone has the right to work together in building a better society?
4. Do you accept opinions, beliefs and ways of life that differ from your own?
5. Do you believe that everyone, even nonconformists, should have equal rights to act in our society?
6. Do you believe that by doing good things, your life becomes more meaningful?
7. Would you like to find volunteer work that is suitable for you?
8. Would you like to know more about the volunteer work possibilities in the Oulu area?
9. Would you like someone to contact you to discuss these possibilities further?
More YES answers tells you that your attitute is right.
VARES- network is run by the Vuolle Setlement
What is a VARES – network
Social Welfare and Health Organisations – small and big ones in North Ostrobothnia mainly in Oulu area belongs to a VARES -network. Oulu city and Oulu Evangelical-Lutheran parishes are members too. Our common aim is to organize volunteering in a professonal way – to make it easy and safe to volunteer. Finding new people to join the voluntary work keeps us busy. We need each other to organize basic schooling, recreation for volunteers and professional guidance and peer support to our coordinators. All our members are so called non-profit assosiations or organizations. Open volunteer tasks are announced on our website.
VARES center is financed by The Funding Centre for Social Welfare and Health Organisations